A spiral slicer works like a pencil sharpener: Put the vegetables in, twist – and “low-carb spaghetti” snakes out from the side. Our Vegetable Spaghetti from the Thermomix® is even healthier and more gently prepared when cooked in the Varoma. Gentle steam cooking retains the fresh color and valuable vitamins of the market-fresh ingredients (fruits or vegetables). This gluten-free substitute for grain pasta is perfect.
Infinite combination options
Thanks to the many available spiral cutter models that can cut different shapes of pasta, our low carb spaghetti may also shine with a wide variety of ingredients, so that also certainly no boredom arises. In addition to spaghetti, we have already made other pasta styles such as spirelli and pappardelle.
Well grown for best results
The best vegetable choices are vegetables which aren’t too soft, such as zucchini or carrots of all colors. But even pears are not an obstacle for most models. Fruits and vegetables that are juicy or hollow inside, or ones which have a hard core, are not suitable for making vegetable noodles.
Examples of fruits and vegetables that we deem suitable are:
- Broccoli (especially the stalk)
- White and red cabbage
- Sweet potatoes
Vegetable Spaghetti from the Thermomix®
If you don’t have a spiral slicer at hand right now, you can also use a hand peeler or knife to cut the ingredients into thin strips or ribbon noodles. The next steps could not be easier or more convenient.
First prepare the sauce in the Thermomix, rinse the mixing bowl, fill the bowl with water, and steam the vegetable noodles in the Varoma. Then serve while still warm with sauce or pesto of your choice.
If you like, instead of steaming the pasta, you can fry it in a pan.
Thermomix® Vegetable Spaghetti (Zoodles)
- 1 garlic clove
- 20 grams arugula
- 1/2 bunch basil
- 20 grams roasted pine nuts
- 70 grams walnuts
- 10 grams lemon juice
- 100 grams olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash, clean and, if necessary, peel and core the vegetables. Cut into thin strips with a spiral cutter or vegetable peeler and place in the Varoma container.
- Add water to the mixing bowl and steam the vegetables for 20 minutes/VAROMA/speed 1. Remove the vegetable spaghetti and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, for the pesto, peel garlic. Wash arugula and shake dry. Wash basil, shake dry and pluck the leaves. Add the garlic, arugula, basil, pine nuts, walnuts, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt to the mixing bowl and blend for 12 seconds/speed 6.
- Serve the pesto with the vegetable spaghetti while still warm.